Kate Bourget picked me up from the airport Thursday morning and we hung around for a bit. I got to ride the metro for the first time. It reminds me of the bat cave with all its dark cylindrical passages. Riding public transportation is weird though. It's not the act of riding itself that is weird, its that feeling of complete disassociation with people around me. It's the waiting. I've waited for the bus with other people and i didn't really think about this because there were so few people. And if i'm waiting at the airport, I usually talk to the people on the flight because I have this feeling that when people are traveling on a plane, they have already purposely separated themselves from their daily busy routine to have their bags scanned, get frisked, and to sit in an uncomfortable chair for several hours. But, for some reason, I've told myself that public transportation is different. That people on public transportation have places to be, and that they have things to do. Okay, so maybe all these thoughts are based off of a mythical reality, but whatever.
Anyways, this idea of a bunch of people waiting and not speaking to each other was just so weird. I mean, if I smelled something funny, I feel like i would just sit there and ignore it. Try to not make a disturbance and just get where I need to go. Of course, this form of thinking completely precludes that unrealistic disney constructed scenario of having some sort of romantic meeting on public transportation. But public transportation is one of the few places where people who are from all different backgrounds are put into a community. It's almost like the best place to truly meet new people. But no one ever takes that chance. I suppose the thought of running into some creeper tends to prevent people from wanting to talk to someone on the subway, but thats silly. I mean, if one meets a creeper on a subway, it's not like the creeper would actually do anything. I mean, you and the creeper would be surrounded by other potentially non-creepy people. Then again, the non-creepy people might think you are creepy for trying to start a conversation with them. oh man, modern life sucks sometimes.
The other thing that I observed was the strange segregation in DC. Now, when I say segregation, I don't mean that one type of people couldnt associate with another type of people, but I did not see many people of one cultural background associating with people of other cultural backgrounds. Of course, i really only saw two major demographics: black and white, and the general trend was that each would really only associate with their own "kind." I'm not anthropologically apt enough to make any judgements, but it was just strange. While Seattle is pretty segregated, It just became so much more apparent in DC. However, my concerns over race shall be reserved for another entry.
The totally sweet part of this east coast adventure was meeting a bunch of the Boren Scholars. They were all pretty cool. My respect for the state of Ohio has grown considerably since I met the Ohio crew. I must admit, I dont usually pay any attention to anything between the two coasts, maybe with the exception of Chicago, but Ohio is now pretty high in my list of regions where cool people hang out. It was also nice to meet progressive people from Missouri. Its wonderful to have my own personal prejudices challenged, especially when these people give me hope for the future. Though, I must confess, most I felt most of the Boren Scholars looked like models. It was like the federal government chose the most beautiful people to represent the United States abroad. I'm not sure if that makes me a model too, but man, there were some pretty people there.
I didnt really do much else in DC other than meet and mingle with the other scholars. It was a pretty low key event. I was expecting some sort of intense ice-breaker and parading around government officials, but what I got was a banquet hall with some tables and signs that said "East Asia" or "Middle East" for us to go bond with people studying in our same regions.
Now that I'm back in Seattle, I am pretty much a bum. I wake up. Work out. Come to SU so I can check my email and spend time doodling around on the internet. Try to write to grants, and then try to go to sleep. It is so relaxing. Wonderfully relaxing. Having regular sleep is fantastic and my skin is clear. I feel quite content. I have a feeling that this might get boring after a while though.
an by the way. this will be my blog from now on and it will include all my adventures in China. If anyone is in Seattle and wants to hang out for the next month--message me!
No comments:
Post a Comment